soul and purpose

"Through my paintings I hope to communicate a personal enthusiasm and respect for the natural world, thus encourage in others an active stewardship of same." -- JEANNE ILLENYE

For Spode Collectors blue transferware, fruit, birds

American Goldfinches in Cracked Spode Bowl
16x20 inches / oil on canvas
SOLD
     If you're a regular visitor to my blog and website, you've no doubt seen a good amount of blue & white porcelain and Spode Blue Italian transferware.  It has been the single most popular subject requested by clients, and I love painting it, particularly since it's my everyday set...well, except in Winter when I switch to another Spode pattern in one of their Victorian Christmas collections...and my brown transferware, and various mulberry transferware patterns, and two patterns of the Autumnal Game Series.  I digress, as my purpose for reposting this painting which I'd completed and sold many years ago, is to chat a little about Spode in general and introduce you to two fabulous sites. 
     Recently, I was introduced online to Pam Woolliscroft who began collecting at an early age and confesses that she'd even purchase cracked or chipped pieces that were priced more appropriately for a teenager to begin collecting...a great idea.  Of course I agree with this concept as a thing of beauty is not destroyed by what I've always referred to as the "kisses of time".   (You've seen how often I even paint cracks in my bowls for interest.)  Pam's early interest in Spode guided her toward a career as curator of the Spode Museum Trust as well as authoring a marvelous new blog which has been met with an overwhelming response,  Spode History:  Snippets of history relevant to the Spode pottery manufactory in Stoke-upon-Trent.  It's a tremendously informative site with wonderful images and links.  Additionally, Pam has begun Spode A-Z featuring a history of Spode patterns, no doubt a huge undertaking but one that will be quite enjoyable to watch grow.
     Another fellow Spode enthusiast whom I also met online is David Hoexter, web administrator of the Transferware Collectors Club which shares a passion for antique British transferware from 1760 to 1900.  It's a truly vast site in which one could spend days at a time browsing the endless array of beautiful transferware, and even buy or sell to enhance your own collections.  Another wonderful site which is a joint effort by the TCC and others to create an online Spode Exhibition.
     For those of us who are collectors, it's always delightful to make new acquaintances who share our appreciation of history and these beautiful wares, so I invite you to pop over and visit these wonderful sites and enjoy the tour!

4 comments:

Susan Roux said...

Wonderful striking composition of abundance! You really have a knack for putting things together, not to mention that other great talent of yours, painting...

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

Oh, thank you SO much, Susan for your lovely comments! :0) Yes, this painting is quite filled to the brim, pushing the composition to the very edges of the canvas. As this painting was done over a decade ago, it reflects my favoring of abundance which pays homage to the dense, fluid compositions of the Dutch masters. Today my style is evolving into a lighter palette and looser composition, but this still has that classical appeal. Afterall, who doesn't love Spode?

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Jeanne, I had to laugh as I started to read your post...so many times I say 'this is my favorite dish', and then in the next breath say 'this one is too...'

This is really stunning and immediately made me think of the Dutch Masters. Your addition of the goldfinch to the composition is sublime!

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

Thank you SO much, Claire! I can imagine antiquing together...one ooohh...another ahhh...and another gasp...for every single pretty porcelain we'd see! That's how my mother, sister and I are when we head out together! :0) The American Goldfinches (Mr. & Mrs.) were painted before I'd ever even seen them im person. Now that we live in the Midwest we are fortunate that they visit our feeders and gardens regularly. Thank you for your lovely comments!


click image

I was published in Visual Language Magazine

BLESSED

Blessed are those who see beautiful things in humble places where others see nothing.
Anonymous

names of colors A-Z